Blog

Why Chocolate is bad for dogs!

Chocolate can contain high amounts of fat and caffeine-like stimulants known as methylxanthines. If ingested in significant amounts, chocolate can potentially produce clinical effects in dogs ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases.

Typically, the darker the chocolate,
the higher the potential for clinical problems from methylxanthine poisoning. White chocolate has the lowest methylxanthine content, while baking chocolate contains the highest. As as little as 4 ounces of milk chocolate—or only 0.5 oz of baking chocolate—can cause serious problems in a 4.5 kg dog. While white chocolate may not have thesame potential as darker forms to cause a methylxanthine poisoning, the high fat content of lighter chocolates could still lead to vomiting anddiarrhea, as well as the possible development of life-threatening pancreatitis, an inflammatory condition of the pancreas.

Is chocolate dangerous for cats as it is for dogs?

While dogs tend to be most commonly affected largely due to their eating habits, chocolate can indeed be toxic to cats, as well as other pets. Depending on the type and amount ingested, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, panting, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures—and even death in severe cases. Because of its toxic potential, we would advise against allowing your cat to consume chocolate.

If your pet does consume chocolate please call your local Anicare clinic. Palmerstown Veterinary Hospital can be contacted on 01 6237044.

 

 

Leave a Reply