Blog

March is Toxins Awareness Month

bonnie & Carole (1)

It’s toxins awareness month and our veterinary nurse, Kate Reddin, has compiled a list of some household items that can be poisonous to our furry friends.  If our pets accidentally (or mischievously) ingest any of the items on the list below, then you should contact us on 01 6237044 immediately as it may cause them to be seriously ill.

 

 

Dog toxins

  • Some of our everyday human food can be poisonous to dogs. Some of these foods include onions, nuts (eg. peanut, macadamia archie chocnut & groundnuts), potatoes, grapes, mushrooms and chocolate. Some symptoms that can occur shortly after ingesting some of these foods can be tiredness, vomiting, diarrhoea, bloat, twitching and developing high temperatures.

  • Caffeine, which can be found in tea, coffee and chocolate, is very dangerous for dogs. It can cause hyperactivity, increased heart rate, dilated pupils and convulsions.

  • Vitamin D compound is also poisonous. If eaten by a dog it can cause increased thirst, weakness, anorexia and muscle spasms.

  • It is not only food in our homes that can be potentially harmful to our dogs. Other household items such as cleaning agents (bleach/detergents) and batteries are dangerous and can cause electrical or chemical burns if swallowed.

If your dog has ingested any of the substances listed above you should contact a vet immediately as they will need medical treatment.

 

Cat toxins

  • There are several plants that if eaten can be poisonous to our feline friends. An example of some of these plants are; Cordyline logan lilyshrubs, Dracaena and Lilies. Some symptoms include excessive drooling, depression, vomiting & diarrhoea.

  • Essential oils such as clove oil, peppermint oil and tea tree oil can cause our cats to feel ill. They can cause retching, loss of appetite, dehydration and coughing. These oils can also cause problems if they come into contact with a cat’s skin and cause hair loss or skin burns.

  • Different household paints can cause irritation to both skin and the digestive system if a cat is exposed to them. They can cause retching, vomiting as well as causing severe irritation to the tongue and gums. If paint were to come into contact with a cat’s skin it could dry it out and cause red pustules to develop.

If you suspect that your cat has come into contact with any of the above substances then you should contact us immediately as your pet may require medical treatment.

 

admin-ajax

To make an appointment you can now book online or call us on 01 6237044

Don’t forget to check out our Facebook page for patient updates, competitions and cute photos!

 

Comments are closed.

Facebook

Twitter